Sunday, August 14, 2011

Not-so-corporate Nameplate

When you work in a "cubicle farm" you are usually issued a nameplate so that people know where your desk is if you're not there. But most nameplates are plastic with a name carved out and quite boring. Since I work in a creative environment, I decided to do something to change up my nameplate.


I began with all thrifted items which included a Scrabble tile holder, some Scrabble tiles, a vintage yard stick, old lace and a piece of rhinestone jewelry that I found recently. I cut the yardstick to the same width as the Scrabble tile holder and sanded the edges.

The wood pieces did not look old enough so I rubbed them down with some Feed-n-Wax that I bought at the local hardware store. You can see the difference in how rich the color looked after I applied the Feed-n-Wax.

To make the lace and rhinestone embellishment, I used a needle and thread {also thrifted} to gathered some lace and tied that off. I used a wire cutter to remove the pin backing on the rhinestone brooch. I glued them together and then glued them both a little off-centered on the yardstick piece.

I glued the embellished yardstick piece to the tile holder. Finally I glued the Scrabble tiles on the yardstick piece. And now I have a not-quite-standard corporate nameplate.


This is linked to:

16 comments:

  1. Love this name plate- its me all over. Lynda @ Uber Savvy Buzzword

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea!
    I don't really need such a nameplate, but you make me feel like wanting to create one! :-)))

    Greetings from DK [ ♥ Lisbet ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece. I'm sure it will stand out, even in a creative environment. I'm sure it will be the first of many customized name plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I have been keeping my eyes open for an old scrabble board deal for another scrabble letter project and am going to add this to my list!

    I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

    I look forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with this! Truly one of the coolest things I've seen in a while and I'm totally stealing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what Tammy said! I pinned this on Pinterest because I love the idea/cuteness factor, then the colors sealed the deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's 7 years later, but I haven't made this - yet! I've got a small ladies' desk in my entryway that's screaming for this! Will have to get the supplies, as well as getting my husband or son on board to help. But I'm going to do it! I just adore this idea!

      Delete
  7. Adorable! A girl's gotta have some fun at the office! Your post from last week's Share the Love Wednesday party is featured--stop by and grab a button!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Love fun things for the office--makes it so much more homey!

    I have a fun giveaway going on for a
    $10 credit to my etsy shop. You should come by and enter!
    http://samandlaurenbattershell.blogspot.com/2011/08/something-lovely-in-crazy.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a labor of love! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classiest, most elegant name plate ever! Love it! Kinda makes me wish I was back in a cubicle again so I could have one on my desk. Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."! I'm going to have to look for the Feed-n-Wax next time I'm at the hardware store.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Especially love that you put it on a typewriter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...