Sunday, August 14, 2011

Not-so-corporate Nameplate

When you work in a "cubicle farm" you are usually issued a nameplate so that people know where your desk is if you're not there. But most nameplates are plastic with a name carved out and quite boring. Since I work in a creative environment, I decided to do something to change up my nameplate.


I began with all thrifted items which included a Scrabble tile holder, some Scrabble tiles, a vintage yard stick, old lace and a piece of rhinestone jewelry that I found recently. I cut the yardstick to the same width as the Scrabble tile holder and sanded the edges.

The wood pieces did not look old enough so I rubbed them down with some Feed-n-Wax that I bought at the local hardware store. You can see the difference in how rich the color looked after I applied the Feed-n-Wax.

To make the lace and rhinestone embellishment, I used a needle and thread {also thrifted} to gathered some lace and tied that off. I used a wire cutter to remove the pin backing on the rhinestone brooch. I glued them together and then glued them both a little off-centered on the yardstick piece.

I glued the embellished yardstick piece to the tile holder. Finally I glued the Scrabble tiles on the yardstick piece. And now I have a not-quite-standard corporate nameplate.


This is linked to:

15 comments:

  1. Love this name plate- its me all over. Lynda @ Uber Savvy Buzzword

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea!
    I don't really need such a nameplate, but you make me feel like wanting to create one! :-)))

    Greetings from DK [ ♥ Lisbet ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece. I'm sure it will stand out, even in a creative environment. I'm sure it will be the first of many customized name plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I have been keeping my eyes open for an old scrabble board deal for another scrabble letter project and am going to add this to my list!

    I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

    I look forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with this! Truly one of the coolest things I've seen in a while and I'm totally stealing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what Tammy said! I pinned this on Pinterest because I love the idea/cuteness factor, then the colors sealed the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! A girl's gotta have some fun at the office! Your post from last week's Share the Love Wednesday party is featured--stop by and grab a button!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Love fun things for the office--makes it so much more homey!

    I have a fun giveaway going on for a
    $10 credit to my etsy shop. You should come by and enter!
    http://samandlaurenbattershell.blogspot.com/2011/08/something-lovely-in-crazy.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a labor of love! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classiest, most elegant name plate ever! Love it! Kinda makes me wish I was back in a cubicle again so I could have one on my desk. Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."! I'm going to have to look for the Feed-n-Wax next time I'm at the hardware store.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Especially love that you put it on a typewriter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...