Sunday, March 18, 2012

Flea Market Observations

After yesterday's gloomy day of thrifting I was hoping to go to the local flea market today. It rained all night and was very cold {by Southern California standards} so I wasn't sure if we were going to venture out today. Dear Handyman was such a good sport and agreed that we needed to get out of the house. Yay!

I only bought two things today. One was a vintage glass juice squeezer for my brother-in-law. The other is this amazing 1965 school map of the United States. I love maps and globes but could never afford a large school map until today.


It is printed on paper which is adhered to a canvas backing. This allows for the map to fold. Each rectangle of this map is about 11" x 15" to give you an idea of how large this is. The unfolded map is about the size of a queen size bed.

I had some interesting observations at the flea market.
1.) I saw several sellers that were the same people I had met while waiting in line at local estate sales.
2.) Knowing the cost of things at estate sales and seeing what people were asking at the flea market gave me a better idea of how to price items.
3.) It would be very easy to start a new collection of something at a flea market. I considered starting a collection of vintage aquarium figurines or miniature billiard balls after seeing several at the flea market. I don't need to start another collection but it was tempting.

Although it was cold and soggy, the weekend turned out great.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a good time. The map is a fabulous find

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Flea markets offer ready-made collections. I have started far too many collections because of a flea market visit- help me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...