Monday, December 22, 2014

Ornament Exchange - Dream Catcher

This is the fourth year that my sister and I are exchanging handmade themed ornaments. Here are some of the past ornaments that I have made. Book, Paper Clock and Cotton China. Beginning from the Paper Clock, we started the themes based on the wedding anniversary gift suggestion. The first year being either Paper {traditional gift} or Clock {modern}. I like to create the ornaments using both themes.

This is the third year {again, not counting the first Book ornament} so the anniversary gift suggestion is  Leather {traditional} or Crystal {modern}. We also added a twist this year because we both bought old player piano rolls while thrifting in Las Vegas recently so we agreed to add the piano roll paper to this year's ornament.
I made a Dream Catcher ornament.



I started with a small wooden hoop that was part of a thrifted embroidery hoop. I used leather cording that is normally used in jewelry making for the center part of the dream catcher. I started with a loop at the top then began tying five double half-hitches along the hoop. Ah, memories of my macrame years.
When I got back to the top I continued to loop it around the center between each double half-hitch until I got to the center and tied it off.
Next came the "feathers". I glued strips of the music roll to both sides of a piece of Grunge Paper. Once it was dry, I die cut two feather shapes using the Sizzix Writing Desk die. I used Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, Tea Dyed and Walnut Stain to color the edges of the feather. The music roll paper added the horizontal lines on the feathers. Another option would have been to color the Grunge paper before applying the music roll paper so that the color would have shown through the holes in the music sheet.
I wrapped twine around the ends of the feathers, strung some thrifted red beads and added a vintage chandelier crystal. Then I tied this to the bottom of the hoop to complete the ornament.

As I write this, I am baking over 250 shortbread cookies to give to my wonderful neighbors. The house smells good and everything feels so warm. I love Christmas!

This is linked to:
Be Different, Act NormalCreate With JoyCupcakes & Crinoline, Flamingo Toes, GingerSnap Crafts, Gitter Glue and PaintKathe With an E, Mad in Crafts, MamaBuzzSew Can Do, Simply Designing, Someday Crafts, Tatertots and JelloTiti Crafty, and Too Much Time on My Hands

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...